Monday, February 9, 2009

War and Peace

Life can be stressful. There is work, play, bills, relationships, wants, needs, etc. that can get us tight about how to move on with our lives. Through the madness and trying to find balance in it all, sometimes we loose focus, we forget our intention, and we become stressed. My life has been flirting with this scenario lately. How do I deal with all of my responsibilities and still remain poised and calm? Speaking to a friend last night, getting stressed about another task I had to accomplish but hadn't been done yet -- post on this blog -- I remembered a book I read last year that shone a bright light on this topic. It is called Way of the Peaceful Warrior and I am recommending it you you.



"Way" was written by Dan Millman. Millman, a former world champion athlete, university coach, martial arts instructor, and college professor, provides insights on how to manage your daily workload while still cultivating your life's purpose. He reminds us of the simplicities of life and the grandness of our spirits and resolve. His teachings, semi-autobiographical in nature, demands that we practice cultivating our crafts and talents, not just do them. They urge us to keep on when times get most challenging, stating "A warrior does not give up what he loves, he finds the love in what he is does." Peacful Warrior is full of wisdom and insights about becoming your best you...and the terribly strenous path of getting there. It is a contradiction of sorts: being at peace but working so hard to maintain it. Yet it makes perfect sense once you are in the moment.

I will not spoil the book by telling all of its secrets. Just go buy it and read it. There is also a movie about it that is pretty good. Check the trailer below. Ultimately, I am recommending this book because of its depth in truth and clarity in reflection. Life is tough these days managing a heavy workload, but through sacrifice, hard work, spiritual development, and faith I am refinding the peace in the war I am fighting for a better me, a better tomorrow, a better life experience for all.

On that note, I'm out. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment